- Read the story to your child.
- Count the fruits in Handa’s basket together.
- Can your child say how many will be left after each animal has taken a fruit?
- Together, count the fruit to check how many pieces are left.
- What is your favourite fruit?
- Can you remember which animal liked which fruit?
- Talk about the word ‘surprise.’ What would you like as a surprise?
Beyond Handa’s Surprise
Play a picnic game:
- Layout the picnic cloth and put the fruits on top. Tell your child to shut their eyes and guess which fruit you have taken away.
- Put your toys around the cloth and have pretend tea party.
Sing some number rhymes together with a counting backwards focus:
- 5 Little Speckled Frogs
- 5 Little Ducks Went Swimming One Day
- 10 in the Bed
Useful Websites for Handa’s Surprise story