- Read the story to your child.
- Count the animals and children together.
- Can your child say how many animals or children there will be before you turn each page? Which number comes next when we count?
- Together, count the animals / children to check how many there are.
- Ask your child: In the last pictures why hasn’t Mr Magnolia gone outside?
- As Mr Magnolia is looking out of his window, what can he see? Talk about the picture together. Why have they all got umbrellas?
Beyond Mr Magnolia
- Use the number cards 1 – 5 with your child, can you put them in order together?
Sing some number rhymes together with a counting focus:
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Once I Caught a Fish Alive
- 1, 2 Buckle My Shoe
- One Man Went to Mow
Useful Websites for Mr Magnolia story